Monthly Archives: May 2008

Diary of a (knitting) nobody

My day today:

Wake up. Shower. Breakfast. Dress. Leave home.

Train knit train knit train.


Work work work work work work work work work work.

Knit lunch knit lunch knit.

Work work work work work work work work work work.


Train knit train knit train.

Knit cook knit eat knit chat knit.

Ashtanga yoga. Breathe in up. Breathe out down. Repeat for 90 mins.

Collapse in front of football. Achy-arm-knit achy-arm-knit achy-arm-knit. Football: Fight. Red card. Penalties. Drama. Tears. Rain. More tears. Knit knit knit.

Yay! Finished!

Wash. Block. Realise socks different sizes. Stretch smallest sock. A lot.


Bed. Sigh… s’all good. Night night!

Share this

Vintage Sampler Blanket: Shower Stitch square

Here’s the next square for my vintage sampler blanket. It is made in Debbie Bliss cashmerino dk using 4 mm needles. For a 6″ square I cast on 33 stitches and knit 44 rows. It’s the first lace pattern I’ve done for this project, and I’m not yet sure if it will work with the sturdier fabrics. I might make a contrasting stocking stitch square with which to line it.

I’ve now completed the first four squares of this blanket, and I’m starting to think a bit more about colours and about how to join them all together. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

I’m thinking of some sort of contrast binding between the squares, maybe along these lines:

This is a section of my first, and probably last(!), quilt. I like how the binding is different to, but complements, all the other fabrics. I also like the lines running diagonally.

I’m wondering too about colours for my blanket. I’m trying to get an effect of once-vibrant colours that have faded gracefully with time. The difficulty with this is avoiding it looking like brand-new baby-soft pastels. These are the colours that I have collected for this project:

So far I’ve used the cream and the pale pink in the middle foreground. I tried the green just behind the cream, but that was definitely baby-pastel territory. It might be that I just end up using the pink and cream for all the squares, and use one of the pale blues to bind them all together. Don’t know yet.

Here are the instructions for the latest square. It requires a number of stitches divisible by 10, plus 3 stitches.

1st row: K1, k2tog, *yo, k3, yo, k into front and back of next st, yo, k3, yo, sl 1, k2tog, psso; rep from * to end, ending the last rep, sl 1, k1, psso, k1.

2nd and all alternate rows: K1, p to last st, k1.

3rd row: K1, k2tog, *yo, k3tog, yo, k2tog, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, yo, sl 2, k1, pass slipped sts over, yo, sl 1, k2tog, psso; rep from * to end, ending the last rep sl 1, k1, psso, k1.

5th row: K4, *k2tog, yo, k1, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k5; rep from * to end, ending last rep k4.

7th row: K3, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, sl 1 k1, psso, k3; rep from * to end.

9th row: K1, k3tog, *yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, sl 2, k1, pass slipped sts over, slip the st back on to the left hand needle, pass the 1st and 2nd sts on left hand needle over, slip the st back on to the right hand needle; rep from * to end.

11th row: K2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yo, k1, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k1; rep from * to last st, k1.

Share this

Two needle cases…

… not made by me, but the first I’ve seen made from my pattern!

I was really excited when I saw that Waffleking1 had posted these on Ravelry. The first one is for her dpns. I love this fabric, and I really love how she made the pockets to fit the needles:

She also made this one for her circular needles and crochet hooks:

The crochet hooks are kept safe in here. I wish I’d thought of making a pocket like this – it’s a great way to keep little bits and pieces extra safe.

Share this

Baby robins in a bike helmet!

The baby robins are huge compared to last week! I’m still not sure how many of them there are; I can count five beaks in this picture. Can you see the claw at the front?

I’m not how sure old they were when we found them last weekend, but they can’t have been more than a few days old. The RSPB website says that their feathers start to grow after three days and their eyes open after five. I’m pretty sure that their eyes weren’t open a week ago. Apparently they start to fly when they are about sixteen days old. I’m going to check up on them more frequently this week, and see how they get on…

Share this

Eyelet Chemise

Wow. 236 stitches per row. 24 rows done so far. That’s 5,664 stitches. Which took me about 4 hours to do, which is roughly 24 stitches a minute. And comprises 3 inches of this pattern. I’m loving it so far; I really hope I like it when it’s finished!

Heads up on the robins: I’ve been leaving them alone all week, but I’m going to go and check up on them tomorrow. I’ll post photos if I can get them…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share this